Answering a Reader Question #959

Princess of Dorne Wrote (in response to the blog post, "When You Get No Support for Modeling"):

I don't know about mine. I already graduated from college, hoping to get their 'favors' yet I feel like, they're still hesitant.

Hi, Princess of Dorne!

Things with parents take time, especially when it comes to accepting their child's role in the modeling industry. In my case, I am happy to report that my dad is now totally on board and supportive of my career (it only took about 10 years haha). But the fact that he is now on my team made the long wait and obstacles worth it.

What changed my dad's mind was when I moved back home to look after him and help take care of the household since my mom works a lot and isn't really home. He got a front row seat to my phone conversations with clients, handling emails related to booking jobs, seeing me get ready for shoots and gigs and my social media posts documenting what I was doing.

That's not to say you need to move back home (if you aren't already there) to prove to your parents how modeling is working out for you but it may take even longer before your parents get to a place where they are either fully supportive or at least are understanding enough to respect your decision to pursue modeling.

All parents want their kids to be safe, prosperous and happy so it's understandable that the iffy and oftentimes unstable nature of modeling as a career would make them hesitant. Until they get to that point where it's all good, in the meantime don't be combative with them or put too much energy into trying to change their mind.

Stay on your path, make good decisions and prove by your actions and successes how well modeling has been for you and in due time they'll see the love you have for it and hopefully that will be enough to get them on your team.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035