Answering a Reader Question #958

(Responding to the Modeling 101 blog post, "Modeling & Taxes (for parents of models under 18")

Patricia Mendez Wrote:

Thank you for writing this informative article. My question is: my 18 year old son is being charged $2,600 to cover the fee for filling out the W9 form in order to work as a model. Is this a scam or is this how it really works?
Thank you in advance.
Patricia

Hello, Patricia!

I'm not a tax professional but I have never heard of any filing fee to fill out a W9.

For one thing, you can find a blank W9 to download, fill out and submit for free on any government website.

Secondly, I've never heard of any company, agency, client, etc. who has required payment for a model to submit this document. As a model I have been asked to provide a signed W9 via email and no money was ever a part of the conversation.

This sounds like a scam of the dumbest degree on the part of the person requesting it so tell your son to run for the hills and not do business with whoever this individual/company is!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035