Answering a Reader Question #833

Unknown Wrote:

Hi Dania, 
I'm a 19 year old model that cuurently is one year into a 3 year exclusive contract with a top agency. After spending the past few months in NYC, I figured out that modeling isn't for me, and I'll be going back to school starting jan. 2016. My issue is, I've racked up copious amounts of debt with my agency and have no idea what's going to happen if i don't get enough jobs to pay it off. Their model apartment is insanely expensive (6 girls each paying 2200/month in a 2 bedroom), and i got very few jobs while i was here. The most frustrating part is for an entire month and a half of my 4 month stay, my agency booked me out and wouldnt let me work because my skin was bad. They insisted i stay in new york even though i wasnt working. I have 2 more months to try and get my debt down, but they're very mean to me, unapproachable, and not understanding of my VERY tight finacial situation which is hindering me from staying here now that they've cut me off from pocket money. I'd really like to leave NOW for the sake of my mental health and bank account, but i dont know how I'd go about breaking my contract with the debt complication.
Thanks! (:

Hi there, Unknown!

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation, how awful! Have you read your contract to find out what the "exit clause" is? All modeling contracts allow for early termination but you have to follow whatever the contract lays out.

The bottom line, however, is that you are required to pay back your debt. Even if you got out of the contract, you'd still be responsible for the amount you owe them. There is no way around that and it is what you agreed to when you signed the contract.

Have you thought about contacting them to arrange a payment plan of some sort? Maybe they could withdraw a small amount of money each month so even if it takes a while to pay off the debt, at least they'd be receiving the money back over time. Most agencies would be accepting of that situation.

What about getting a regular job in the meantime until you go back to school? That way you'd be earning some money to keep yourself afloat financially and pay down your agency debt--even if it was a waitressing job, you'd get tips and not be stuck with no money coming in.

I really hope you can utilize any or all of the options I've mentioned above to try and get this whole messy situation back on track to a more positive resolution. If you need additional help or have more questions, you can always shoot me an email directly at: daniadenise@gmail.com.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035