Answering a Reader Question #802

Anonymous wrote:

Hey Dania!!
I need help right now I'm super anxious!!!
So, after 2 years of people telling me I should model and stuff, I gave in and decided to look into the modeling industry. I didn't really want to go the traditional way and attend open calls and everything, so I found this new thing that IMG models has started which is called the We Love Your Genes Instagram scouting account. You're supposed to tag your selfie with their hashtag and they check it everyday, hoping to scout someone new! So I tried it, and a few hours later, BAM. A scout commented on my picture but this time it wasn't someone from IMG, but from a different (yet still prestigious agency) in Chicago called Factorwomen. I lived in another state and the scout asked me to send her digitals and measurements and everything so I did. After she received them, she asked me to Skype her. I had the interview about two days ago and I had a great feeling about it when it finished (although it was only 3 minutes or something) because they were extremely nice and they complimented me a few times too. 
Now the thing is that I'm nervous about the aftereffect. Will I get a call back from them? or do they always do this to people? 
How long do they usually take to get back to people they're more interested in? I know I'm a totally different case because I was scouted in Instagram so I'm anxious!!!!
Thank you in advance for your reply and time!!!Xo

Hey, Anonymous!

What I'm going to tell you first is something that I have told many an aspiring model in your situation: BREATHE. :-)

I think that's awesome that you got a response back and it sounds like everything went well. Of course now it's the hardest (but also most normal) part of the process: waiting. I know it's difficult to not think about anything other than what could possibly be happening over at Factor Women right now but it can take some time for an agency to decide whether or not to move forward with a potential model.

Will you hear back from them? I honestly cannot tell you that answer. I would like to think so, based on how you described things going. The waiting part does happen for everybody--even the models they ultimately end up signing. It could take them anywhere from a few days to a week or so to get back to you. The reasons why it could take them a while to get back to you could include any or all of the following:

- They are an actively working agency with other stuff to take care of first

- They need to get approval from all the people at the agency who are considered the "decision makers" as to whom they will bring on board. That can range from 1-3 or more people and if there are several people in charge of coming into agreement about who to offer a contract to, that can take some time to hash out

- They are weighing the pros and cons of representing you, considering that you are in another state and need to figure out the logistics involved (i.e. relocating you, where you would stay, or if they'll just have you fly back and forth when suitable opportunities become available, etc.)

All of these are important business decisions they cannot rush. So if you haven't heard back from them yet, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I would say give it a week (7 days from the time you had the interview BUT not counting the weekends) and if you haven't heard back by then, send a brief follow up email to the scout you were in touch with to check in. Sometimes agencies get so busy with their day-to-day work that they can forget about getting back to people they've scouted.

But until then you need to do everything in your power to keep yourself occupied so that you don't drive yourself insane in the meantime. I'm sure everything will turn out fine! :-)

Comments

  1. Hi and thank you for your response!
    I emailed the woman back today and received a response the hour afterwards.
    They said that unfortunately when they got together as a team, some of the people did not think I should be represented by them...Bummer considering they really fed me hope in the interview:(
    But that doesn't matter! thank you for your help!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035