Answering a Reader Question #557

Anonymous Wrote:

Hi! I've been in contact with an agency and did my first test shoot a couple of weeks ago.
Now they told me that they want me as a 'people' model, and not as an ordinary model as we talked about before...I have the right measurements, age and length for ordinary modeling (I'm a girl, 15), and the photographer was really impressed of me.
I'm happy that the agency wants me at all, but I want to be able to work fulltime as a model, and they told me I can't do that as a people model.
Another agency has been interested in me, can I have two agencies? As a people model, I won't have a contract...I'm sorry, I'm really frustrated and didn't know who to ask :(
What can I do??
Hugs


Hi, Anonymous!

In some cases it is possible to have more than one agency but it all depends on what types of contracts are in place. You've already said that the agency you're with as a people model doesn't have a contract, which actually works in your favor. However, you need to ask the latest agency you've been in touch with if they do offer a contract and if so, will it still allow you to work with the first agency or not. So that should be the first thing you need to find out.

If the second agency has a contract but doesn't want you to work with other agencies, then you'll have to make a decision as to whether or not you'd be okay being under contract with this new agency and dropping the one you've already started working with. So depending on what this latest agency has to offer you, you'll more than likely have to make some important decisions.

It is important to know that modeling as a full time job is extremely difficult to do, especially if you aren't doing fashion and runway work. No agency can guarantee that you can work full time status so while I know it's a major goal you want to accomplish, it's a difficult one to pull off so just know that up front. So please don't be disappointed if this latest agency ends up telling you the same thing...in fact, if they are legit and know the industry, they will be honest and tell you that you probably won't be able to model full time.

It's a reality of the industry but trust me, working as a model in any capacity through an agency is a good thing so don't focus too much on trying to model full time--instead, focus on being the best model you can be for the agency and yourself! :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035