Answering a Reader Question #556

Olivia Wrote:

Hi, Dania! Okay so this is probably a question you get a lot.. I have absolutely no experience whatsoever, but I've always wanted to model. I never thought of myself as someone who could do it because of my low self-esteem, but lately things have been looking up and I'm a lot more comfortable with my body. I'll be 18 in May, my measurements are 36/27/38.5, and I'm only about 5'7". I'm working on toning up and losing weight, which I feel I should be able to do rather quickly if I keep myself motivated. Is it possible for me to look into doing runway? I mean in the long haul, anyway? Besides my age and lack of experience, I'm not tall enough nor do I have any idea what I'm doing. I have had some people interested in me modeling for them, an offer which I might take up. I just feel discouraged because the industry is enormous; what makes me special in a sea of pretty girls? At the same time, I tell myself that someone has to be chosen, so why couldn't it be me? I'm still struggling with self-confidence, an issue that some support would probably help a lot, but I also know I can do whatever I put my mind to. I guess I'm just a little annoyed that it's taken me this long to feel comfortable enough to even entertain the notion of modeling, and now I feel way behind. Would you be willing to help me find some agencies that aren't scams? My mother is so skeptical. I don't know if I should tell you where I live right now, so I'll wait to hear back from you.
Thank you loads! I really appreciate your help and all that you do!


Hi, Olivia!

Based on your height and measurements, you're more realistically ideal for commercial/print modeling and not runway/fashion modeling. Agencies set their minimum height at 5'8" and while they do make some exceptions to that rule if they feel a model's look is a great one they can market, the preferred measurements are 34-24-34. The maximum is one inch in any or all of those areas. So you would have to be able to get your bust down to 35, your waist to 25 and your hips to 35. I don't believe that would be a route to pursue, however, since it would be incredibly difficult, especially since it would basically require you to change your body type, which isn't realistic (or healthy for that matter).

I'm sorry if that isn't the answer you were hoping for but that doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't pursue modeling at all. Like I stated already, you are the perfect height for commercial/print and--unlike runway and fashion--you don't have to meet stringent size requirements. As long as you're proportional and healthy in appearance, that is what print agencies care about.

While print modeling is still competitive like runway and fashion modeling, it's not like you have to worry about being thinner or more amazing physically than the other girls. Print models are definitely attractive but more so like the girl/guy-next-door. We come in all ages, shapes and sizes so I think that pursuing print modeling would be much easier on your self esteem until you eventually feel 100% comfortable in your own skin as a model.

If you want to find legit commercial/print agencies in your area, I would just need to know the city and state where you live, not your mailing address or anything like that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035