Answering a Reader Question #1,005

Anonymous Wrote:

Hi Dania, I’m currently 14 years and 6 months old. I am 5’5 and weigh 110 pounds. I really think modeling is something that I would love to do. I’m not really sure where to start though. Do you think I could model despite my height? I know agencies typically look for models who are 5’8 - 5’10. I’m not too confident that I’ll grow anymore. Does that mean I could never be a runway model? Any advice??

Hi, Anonymous!

If you remain 5'5" in height and end up not growing taller, that means you can pursue commercial/print modeling. There are agencies that represent commercial/print models and there is plenty of work to be found in catalogs, billboards, magazines, product packaging--you name it. 

Below is a link to a blog post I wrote about commercial/print modeling that will give you a better idea of what this type of work entails:


As far as runway goes, you're correct that the height standard fashion agencies look for is 5'8"+. While that means the chances of being a professional runway model are slim, that doesn't mean you couldn't do local fashion shows with designers who create clothing for models of all sizes and heights to showcase. They are out there, you just have to network and check out what the local fashion scene is like where you live.

Regardless of whether you end up on a runway of not, getting into commercial/print will get you into the modeling industry and allow you to do shoots and all sorts of fun projects so I would definitely recommend looking into agencies within a 2 hour's drive from where you live and visiting their websites to see which ones represent commercial/print models and submitting yourself according to their guidelines.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035