Answering a Reader Question #987

Anonymous Wrote:

First of all, I think I love you Dania! Thank you for answer my question (#986) it was more than helpful, but I have more questions and I think you can help me:

1. I've just turned 18! my country is Venezuela and literal there isn't a decent modeling agency (here the modeling world is not a good idea), and being honest I don't want to start my career here, and like I said before I'm planning to go to NYC (next year) to see some agencies, my question is: Is okay to apply online to an agency that doesn't have open calls once there? I mean, like you said before I have to plan ahead the agencies that I'll attend but there is one on my list that only accepts an online application, and I want to apply once there because I want to fill the "addres box" with an address of NY, it is okay to do that or is crazy?

2. How do I “plan ahead” the agencies I will attend to, I mean, I have a list but do I need to contact them first? or do I have to submit the online application first? Please explain this to me

3. You mentioned that having a mother agency is a good idea, in my case, any other modeling agency of Latin America is good? for example, Elite Models Chile or Ford Models Brazil?

4. I don't like the third option so much, I will try with everything to start in NY, please tell me I'm not crazy

6. My mind is now in blank but if I have more doubts, I will let you know, THANK YOU SO MUCH YOU DESERVE THE SKY HONEY XOXO

Hi, Anonymous!

Awww, I love you right back! :-D

Let's jump into those questions so that you have a better idea of what to expect when you get here next year:

1. Congrats on turning 18 (Happy Belated Birthday)!!! Yes, you should plan to go to agencies that have open calls but also submit online to the ones that don't.

For the one agency you mentioned that only accepts online applications, I would recommend being honest and putting your real address and not a New York one. If there is a box on the application that lets you introduce yourself, that's where you can briefly talk about how you live in another country but are willing to relocate to New York for representation.

They receive submissions from international models all the time so they will understand the situation. Putting a New York address would only be confusing: if they were to invite you to an interview last minute because they are under the impression that you are local and can easily stop by, that would put you in an awkward situation.

2. Having a list of which agencies you want to attend open calls for and knowing the dates and times is what I was mainly talking about. You don't have to submit to/contact those first because that's what the open call is for--you just show up without an appointment.

For the ones you like that don't have open calls, those are the ones you have to submit online to first and mention the dates you'll be in New York so that if there are interested in meeting with you, then they can hopefully arrange an interview with you while you're already going to be in the area.

3. That's correct. If you're able to get your foot in the door with any of those established agencies, they'll have direct connections to their office locations in the New York market so it would be a direct path for you.

4. You're not crazy. You have high ambitions and goals and there's nothing wrong with that. Wanting to start off in NY is certainly an option and a decision that you can make. Just make sure you keep your expectations realistic and go in knowing that it is more challenging to get started in the US if you live in another country and aren't already represented by a mother agency. BUT that doesn't mean I would tell you to change your plans or discourage you.

Stick to your Plan A to start off in NY and if for whatever reason that doesn't work out, then you know you've got your Plan B available to sign with a large agency in Latin America like the ones you described to try and get into the US market that way.

Having a backup plan is always smart and I think you're on the right track. You have my full support regardless of which path you choose and I'll be sending you nothing but positive energy for a good outcome!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035