Answering a Reader Question #948

Ashley Wrote:

Hi Dania, I've just started reading your blog and really admire how much help and advice you offer here. I have a few questions that I've been struggling with since I've started modeling, and am hoping you don't mind giving me your thoughts. First, I have a rather large nose which makes my face look unproportional from the side profile. People (friends and family) try to tell me it isn't big, but I have never seen an agency represented model with a similar nose to mine, so I am afraid that it will prevent me from ever succeeding in modeling. Do you think this is something that agencies will look at when I submit side profile snapshots? Second, I am 28 years old now and am afraid that I am way past the accepted age for runway and fashion modeling. Is it too late for me to be submitting my information to large agencies? Third, I am a size 6 in pants since I have wide hips. From what I understand, that would make me a plus size model even though I am no where near plus size. I fit fine in XS tops, although I wear S so that they are not overly tight, and I can wear size 4 dresses depending on the style. Does my "large" pant size make me unconsiderable for runway and/or fashion modeling? My last question is kind of silly, but I have read that model's names can affect their marketability. My first name is so common that it is almost boring, but my last name is Tower. Do you think I should use an alias to become more marketable, or does Ashley Tower sound fine the way it is? I have been using my middle name lately to try to be more unique, but my middle name is Marie which is just plain boring! I'm sorry to ask so many questions at once! I just can't stop analyzing them in my head and it is making me crazy. I've done a few charity fashion shows and worked with many photographers to build my profile (currently working on updating it), and have been told by many that I have an exotic look and they love working with me, but no agency has responded to my submissions. I'm sure I haven't submitted my information to enough agencies, but I really think that the issues I have been questioning are what is preventing them from contacting me. Every time I post a professional shot or plain old selfie on Instagram I seem to gain a few "model scout" followers, but I think many are just a way to get me to sign up with their service which always seems to cost something, so that boost of confidence I get goes right back down the toilet when I look into those followers. I know I need to be strong in the modeling world, but I just don't know if it is even worth trying to be successful with those issues that I mentioned. Thank you so very much in advance for any help you can provide and I really appreciate you taking the time to read this.

Hey there, Ashley!

I'm happy that you are a blog reader and I greatly appreciate you taking the time to send me your questions. Let's see what I can do...

There are many models who have distinct features that make them stand out, including the size/shape of their noses. Below are photos of several:



28 is considered past the cut off for fashion/runway modeling, according to industry standards. That being said, that doesn't necessarily mean you can't submit to larger agencies. Oftentimes, these agencies have other divisions that you could be a good fit for, including lifestyle and commercial/print. Many fashion agencies that have commercial/print divisions still require their models to be fashion height so that would be worth looking into.

To cover all your bases, it's always a good idea to submit to agencies both large and small. What doesn't work for one agency may be just what another is searching for so don't only focus on one type of agency over another or else you could be missing out on potential opportunities.

What is more important for agencies to know in addition to your clothing sizes are your actual measurements (bust, waist and hips in inches). Since I don't know that info, I can't readily tell you how an agency would receive your stats and is even more reason why I would encourage you to attend open calls and/or submit your snapshots and info to agencies. You'll get the definite answers you need by going straight to the source.

As far as your name goes, I always say start with being yourself. So if that's Ashley Tower, then be Ashley Tower (I think your last name rocks, btw). :-) You won't even know if you'd require a name change until you actually get signed so since we're not mind readers, don't even worry about that at this point since you haven't interviewed with agencies yet. If they feel you need to change your name, they'll tell you and work with you to find something suitable.

I can definitely tell you're the type of over analyze, lol. To that I say: stop and breathe! Don't let your thoughts and concerns run away with you to the point where you're overthinking and start to make easy mistakes, which can happen when it comes to submitting to agencies.

There could be any number of reasons why an agency may not be interested at the moment. The fact that you are allowed to resubmit after 6 months to 1 year (some allow you to resubmit after 3 months), means the door is always open so even if an agency passes the first time around, you do have the chance to try again.

Feel free to send me an email directly at: daniadenise@gmail.com if you want to talk in more detail. Once I know which agencies you've submitted to and review the photos you've sent, maybe we can find out where any errors are being made and fix them so you have a shot at getting your foot in the door. :-)

Comments

  1. Hello, I pretty much enter a question on Google and your blog came out :) this is very interesting. I would like to know what happened to women who have family such as children etc. how do they balance family and modeling, not to mention modeling include traveling. Can you bring family along? Not at the photo shoot, but hotel for instance? Does the agents work out with the model especially if she has a family to care for? Also you mention in one of the post, that a women after they turn 22 or 23, I think so, are considered "old" for catwalks which mean if you past 25 you won't be able to. But what about women that don't look their age at all? I believe they look at the face not age,because the young faces and body sell, not age, or at least that what I think. some women are 20 but look 30 year old. I hope you will answer to me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Anonymous! You'll find the answer to your question in its own post, titled "Answering a Reader Question #949," which can be found on this blog.

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dania,
    I can't thank you enough for this information. And you are absolutely right - I am the type to overanalyze!! But you've actually made me feel better about what I'm doing and gave me a new perspective on things. Thank you for taking the time to respond and especially showing me some other models with those distinct features I mentioned. ;) You really are one amazing woman!! I hope to meet you some day if I ever get the chance. :)
    Best Regards,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley,

      It is my absolute pleasure! That's what I'm here for and I do wish you the best of luck with pursuing your modeling goals. Remember, I'm just an email away if you ever have any questions or concerns. I'll be rooting for you and it would be a joy to meet you in person one day!

      Keep being you--that's what'll get you the farthest in life no matter your goals for the future!

      Best,
      Dania

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035