Answering a Reader Question #945

Anonymous Wrote:

Hello! :) So I've just turned 16 at the end of May, and I was considering going into modelling, but only part-time since I'm still at school. (Sorry I've got a lot of questions!) I'm roughly 166cm/ 5'5- I may grow but is that too short for editorial jobs? Since I live in Malaysia, a Southeast Asian country, I've heard height is less of a huge factor when going into modelling but I'm not sure if it's true. As well as that, I was wondering if that since Malaysia has a small modelling industry, would it be better to apply at foreign modelling agencies which can get me bigger contracts but are harder to get into and are far away or local modelling agencies, which are closer but less successful? Which brings me to the next question- since I can only do part-time at this point in time, would it largely affect how good the contract is going to be or which agency would find me more suitable? Thank you for your help! 

Hey, Anonymous!

Let's jump right into your questions, shall we? :-)

In parts of the country like yours, the height requirement can often flexible BUT that doesn't mean that agencies will work with just any shorter model. He/she has to have that "It" factor and be a true exception to the rule.

Since I'm not a mind reader (or anyone else, for that matter), I can't say whether one person or another would be considered that exception. The only way you'll know for sure is by submitting yourself to the agencies.

At your age and height currently you do qualify for teen and commercial/print modeling automatically so those are categories you wouldn't have to worry about. As far as editorial goes, like I mentioned, you have to submit yourself to those types of agencies to get a definitive answer but in general 5'5" is considered too short for categories like editorial in a majority of major markets.

In terms of location and whether to stay local or try to model abroad, I would advise starting local in your situation. Because you aren't the traditional height for editorial and runway, that will make it very difficult to find those kinds of agencies in other countries that would be able to work with you.

Building modeling experience locally is always recommended because it allows you to test the waters and see what kind of work you can book. Additionally, any mistakes and learning curves are best done in a small pond instead of a large one. All of the experience gained will strengthen your career and reputation, should you find yourself in a position to work in another market/country and/or if you happen to grow taller and be able to do editorial modeling.

Agencies work with students all the time and are used to dealing with individuals who cannot model full-time. The contracts offered are standard regardless of availability so that wouldn't be a concern for you.

To sum things up:

1) Submit to local agencies in your area that represent teens and/or commercial/print models. That will get your foot in the door and give you relevant modeling experience if you're able to get someone to represent you.

2) Also submit to local fashion agencies and see if they'd be willing to make an exception for you or if they have flexible height requirements because of the country/market location you're in. Even if they say no, you'd at least have an answer and can focus on print modeling.

Best of luck to you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035