Answering a Reader Question #790

Emily Wrote:

Hi Dania,

I'm 24 years old and 5'1", and, and wanting to pursue a modelling career, I have exotic, Eastern-European features and a super toned body (I'm a ballet/contemporary dancer). I know that my height and age will make it difficult for me to have a career in this industry, but I'm wondering if, with my athleticism, my height might be less of an issue if I were looking into fitness modelling? I've being looking into parts modelling as well, and wondering if freelancing would be best, or singing with an agency as a parts model. Any advice you can give on where I might fit in best will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Emily

Hey Emily!

In most areas like fitness and parts modeling, height isn't as big of a factor as with runway or editorial modeling. I think it would be a good first step to try and find an agency to represent you for fitness modeling and parts modeling but also commercial/print, since this category is very in demand and doesn't typically have stringent height requirements. If you have a look the agency feels they can market successfully, then they'll take you on and submit you to castings that they feel would be suitable.

Of course location is going to be a key factor in terms of finding quality agencies to submit to. Parts modeling isn't a division all agencies represent but in the larger markets like Los Angeles, NYC and Miami this type of modeling is more common, as is fitness and swimwear modeling.

Should your efforts in finding an agent not pan out, then freelance would be your plan B. Many clients who work with freelance models have flexible physical requirements a lot of times so that could give you the opportunity to do fitness, parts and print modeling as well. Your dance background and training will be a big plus because there are companies/clients that want to use "real life" individuals who have certain skills (like dance) to portray more realistic poses and images for their projects.

If you need help finding legitimate agencies to see what your options are, you can let me know what city and state you live in (not your mailing address though) by commenting on this post or by emailing me directly at: daniadenise@gmail.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035