Answering a Reader Question #762

Anonymous Wrote: 

Hi Dania! I am 17 years old and I have had no modeling experience. I plan to go to college in new York in a a few years and try to model once I'm there. I am 5'8 and my measurements are 32B/23/33. Would I even have a chance in new york? 

Hi there, Anonymous!

With your height, age and measurements, you definitely meet the basic requirements for modeling in a market like New York, specifically fashion, runway and editorial.

The only footnote I would add in is that New York is one modeling market in particular where agencies have started raising the minimum height requirement to 5'9" instead of the traditional 5'8". But it's not very many of them doing this, 3-4 I believe and it's the high profile places like Elite. However, that doesn't mean you don't have a shot because you do. Just make sure when the time comes to start looking at agencies to submit to, that you pay close attention to the requirements listed on the agency websites.

5'8" is still enough to make the cut in fashion modeling so if you feel you can be the exception to the rule for an agency that wants its models to be at least 5'9", there is no harm in submitting your snapshots or attending an open call.

The number of fashion agencies in New York that take 5'8" models at minimum height outnumbers those that have bumped up their criteria so you've still got the odds in your favor in that sense.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035