Answering a Reader Question #733

Anonymous Wrote:

Hi Dania

So I signed with an exclusive agency in Minneapolis about 5-6 months ago for 5 years and I just found out i will be moving to California in the summer and I haven't had the chance or guts tell my agents that I'm moving. I want to continue to model in Cali and wasn't sure if I can be with other agency like la models or elite and also with my agency now because agencies like that are also exclusive? Would i be possible? Do i just do a submission to cali agencies or do I let my agency deal with it? Because my agency and ones in cali like elite or la models are exclusive would it still be okay to sign with an exclusive one in cali and also be with my Minneapolis agency?

Hi there, Anonymous!

If you don't plan on moving back to Minneapolis, then you need to tell your agent right away. This isn't the kind of news that should be kept to yourself for too long. Does your agent have "Mother Agency" powers that would allow them to connect you with agencies in California? If you aren't sure, make sure to ask when you tell them about the upcoming move.

If they are a Mother Agency, then they'll take care of the agency search for you and hopefully will be able to place you with representation in California.

If they are not a Mother Agency, then they shouldn't have a problem with terminating your contract early due to the circumstances, especially since it's only been 5-6 months from the time you signed with them. There isn't much they can do for you as an agency if they don't have mother agency powers and if you have no plans to move back to Minneapolis so either way I would hope they'd be flexible with letting you out of your contract.

Once you are free of your contract with your current agent (if things work out that way), then you can certainly submit to any agency you want in California.

But for now, do not submit to any agencies in Cali until you know where you stand with your agent after you tell them that you're moving.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Comments

  1. Hey Dania, how important are nice teeth in general. I had braces during my teens so my teeth look ok. The problem I have is a peg lateral tooth due to a genetic discrepancies. I only have the peg on one side. Literally the other side of my mouth on the top row are normal and one side isn't. My bottom teeth are normal too. Would this be a hindrance in submitting to agencies. Commercial print is right up my alley. I'm just wondering if my peg lateral tooth is unmarketable or could it be considered a unique trait. What would be best for my career??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Anonymous! You'll find the answer to your question in its own post, titled "Answering a Reader Question #736." Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035