Answering a Reader Question #727

Courtney Wrote:

Hi Dania, 

My name is Courtney. I am a 26 year old African American male. I am 6'2 200 pounds with an athletic build. My question is in my age. In reading various opinions and the average age of beginning a modeling career I see the cut off is usually 25. How true is this? Also I am in the process of dropping some weight, as a former athlete this process is usually rapid. In order to be considered for print or non fitness modeling, what weight do you believe would be good for me? I idolize Tyson Beckford, someone who is similar in size to be. Thank you for your help!

Hey, Courtney!

As a male model you don't need to be as concerned with age as female models do. The cut off at 25 is true but that's for female fashion/runway models. Male models typically go on in their careers well into their mid 30s and even longer depending on their popularity and demand.

A majority of agency websites I've seen list the max age for male models at 35 so I think it's safe to say you don't have to worry about the clock ticking and working against you just yet. :-)

As far as weight, it isn't so much your actual weight but your sizes/measurements. As long as you are proportional, that is what matters to agencies. It would be a good idea to get your measurements done (neck, chest, waist, hips, inseam, jacket/suit) if you don't already know those numbers and compare them to some of the top male models and see how you measure up (no pun intended, lol).

Comments

  1. Well, ethnic female models got onto their careers longer. Same with White female models. White male models' careers are usually cut off at 25. This is where they have to be concerned with age. Female models don't need to be concerned with age because a lot of them are looking younger than they really are nowadays, including White ones. It's usually the males that age faster, usually White but not ethnic ones.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035